Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Followers

Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Christmas Sacks

Woo!! My Christmas Sacks for the girls are FINALLY finished! I'm really pleased with them!
 
After dithering around trying to decide exactly what to put where, when I came to doing it I had a little difficulty. I am completely self taught on my sewing machine, and have learned by doing.
 
I decided I wanted to try Satin Stitch which is when you sew in a zig zag really close together and tight so that you can't see the gaps. You end up with a thick border which looks lovely. I was fine on straight lines but when it came to curves it was a disaster!lol! So the girls don't have their names on and I have decided to practice, practice and practice some more to get them on for next year.
 
 
 
 
I think anyone who can sew can definately have a go as I have cheated and used a number of shortcuts!
 
I used a big (massive!) pillow case that I found in the IKEA bargain corner so I didn't have to make the sack, then used a template to cut out and applique a tree onto another piece of fabric. I used the satin stitch around the outside of the tree and then a decorate stitch that is automatic on my sewing machine on the cream fabric. I then simply stitch on some ribbon at the back of the pillowcase in the middle at the top to then tie around so I didn't have to make a drawstring.
 
I am so pleased with them! And I reckon it cost me around £5 if not less to make each one - FAR cheaper than I could have bought.
 
My plan is to get either their initial or names on below the tree, or I might make a felt heart hanging decoration with their names hand stitched on, that I can then thread through the ribbon so it will hang down when it's tied (I quite like this idea!).
 
My project for Christmas next year is stockings! I have made two stockings before for my parents out of soft teddy bear material but I want to have some that all match for all four of us. Mr Strong and I really wouldn't fill a Christmas Sack each, or even if we shared one so those are just for the girls!
 
Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and stay posted for more in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to leave a comment: